Migration issues (FAQ)

Coronavirus-related information

Below are some frequently asked questions about migration issues in relation to the coronavirus outbreak. The FAQ will be updated regularly, so please check back here.

If you aren’t able to return to your home country due to coronavirus pandemic and possible travel bans, flight restrictions, etc., you have the right to apply for a visitor’s permit in order to extend and legalise your stay in Sweden. It’s crucial that you submit your application before your current permit expires.

The Migration Agency has decided to waive the application fee (1 500 SEK) for those who will be applying for a visitor’s permit due to the risk of being stranded in Sweden due to the corona pandemic. If you apply for a visitor’s permit, specify the corona pandemic as the grounds for your application and state that you intend to travel home as soon as possible, and you won’t have to pay the application fee.

Find information on how to apply for a visitor's permit at the Migration Agency website


If you have any questions with regards to your studies and your navigating your migration status in Sweden, please feel free to contact the migration coordinator at Lund University via migration [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se ().

If, in light of the outbreak of the coronavirus, you have any questions related to your residence permit application and/or current Swedish migration laws/legal practice, please contact the Migration Agency.

Find contact details for the Migration Agency at their website


The Migration Agency has, in light of the corona pandemic, introduced new rules with regards to residence permit for studies eligibility making it easier for students to be approved. The Migration Agency will now be able to grant a residence permit if the studies predominantly, meaning more than 50%, will be conducted on-campus (as opposed to online) during the permit period, even though there are parts or elements of remote studies in the study plan.

To keep up to date with any potential future amendments and exemptions for international students affected by the coronavirus outbreak, please visit the Migration Agency website regularly. On July 15, 2020, the Migration Agency updated their FAQ regarding residence permits for students during the coronavirus pandemic.

If your current permit for studies is about to expire, but you haven’t yet graduated, you will need to apply for an extension of your existing permit. In order to stay in Sweden whilst the Migration Agency processes your application, you will need to submit your application before your then current permit expires. We recommend that you read through the list of required documentation thoroughly before applying, to ensure that you meet the requirements; especially with regards to the full-time study requirement.

Learn more about applying for an extension at the Migration Agency website


Leaving Sweden (for a longer period of time) might negatively impact your residence permit eligibility, if you’re here on a residence permit for studies. According to Migration Agency rules, international students must meet several requirements, such as actively studying full-time within the country. Any deviation from this might mean that the Migration Agency decides to revoke your permit. If you have any questions regarding this, please contact the Migration Agency directly.

Find contact details for the Migration Agency at their website


On March 17, 2020, Sweden introduced a travel ban as a result of the ongoing spread of the coronavirus. The travel ban entered into effect on March 19 and has been extended several times; it is currently extended until October 31, 2020. Persons who have a residence permit or right of residence in Sweden are however exempted from the ban.

Learn more about the eligibility requirements on the Swedish police website

On July 15, 2020, the Migration Agency updated their FAQ for students with questions and answers related to resident permit issues during the coronavirus pandemic. Please check if you can find the answer to your question there.

Read the updated FAQ regarding residence permits on the Migration Agency website